Friday, October 14, 2005


Compassion

Yesterday, a good friend asked me what I would identify as the most important characteristic in a human being.. without hesitation, I responded "compassion". Mother Teresa, Princess Diana (may they both rest in peace), my mother.. all pop into mind when I am asked for examples.. I value people who are compassionate because they are not only able to sense another's feelings but react in the most loving and sympathetic of ways. The most amazing part of it all, is that you don't even have to ask for anything at all.. compassionate people are content with the sincerity of giving and their joy is derived from your own well-being... "Compassion - literally "suffering with" - is born out of feeling rawness of the heart, which also makes us more sensitive to others". -- John Welwood.

A husband acting out of compassion would help his wife in the chores instead of critising her cooking and cleaning - he understands that she is tired and that her work as a wife and mother is demanding. A compassionate mother would understand why her child is misbehaving and patienly tries to instruct her child instead of punishing him or her. Likewise, a compassionate observer feels concern when he or she watches the suffering of fellow man.. and has a desire for all the pain to be banished.

Compassion is also the basis of all morality and of great importance for all religious traditions as well as spiritual philosophies (buddhism, for instance). "Compassion is the ultimate and most meaningful embodiment of emotional maturity. It is through compassion that a person achieves the highest peak and deepest reach in his or her search for self-fulfillment." --Arthur Jersild

Compassion is the highest form of love for ourselves and others. What human characteristic could possibly be more beautiful, pure and desirable?


A Few Quotes on Compassion:

Spiritual energy brings compassion into the real world. With compassion, we see benevolently our own human condition and the condition of our fellow human beings. We drop prejudice. We withhold judgment. Christina Baldwin

Part of her gift in bringing comfort to those in anguish lay in this sensitive awareness of when silence is best. She was not a voluble sympathiser, quite the reverse. At some point during an outpouring of grief, she would stretch out a hand or both hands and ouch the person on the arm or face. W.F. Dees, on a trip to Bosnia with Diana Princess of Wales.

It's not how much we give, but how much love we put in doing - that's compassion in action. Mother Teresa

Compassion is being in tune with oneself, the other person and the whole world. It is goodness at its most intuitive and unreflective. It is a harmony which opens itself and permits the flowing out of love towards others without asking any reward. David Brandon

9 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger Nura said...

I would be interested to hear what others think that the most important characteristic in a person is? What do you truly value in another human being?

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Hannu said...

I value honesty, a lot!

Hmmmm... nice reading, very!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger programmer craig said...

I'm with you, Nura... compassion is a good one. Somebody who is compassionate will also be honest and trustworthy, in my opinion. Compassionate people are rarely(never) ego-driven, and therefore they always think of how their own actions will effect others. That leads (in my opinion) to a whole host of other very positive character traits.

Albert Einstein said something related to this:

"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self"

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger AGRADA said...

The only best example of real compassion which is never ego-driven is the mother's compassion, she can understand what a child doesn,t say.

Abu Hurairah reported that a man came to the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) and asked: "O Messenger of Allah, who is the person who has the greatest right on me with regards to kindness and attention?" He replied, "Your mother." "Then who?" He replied, "Your mother." "Then who?" He replied, "Your mother." "Then who?" He replied, "Your father."

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger aghliw said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Jamz said...

Honesty is a good one as Hanu said.. My mother once said to me truth is beauty and Allah loves beauty, so love truth. I also don't beleive that there are some truths that are better left unsaid like some people pretend.

Truth is blessed, but it must be presented in its beauty.-John A. Craiger

That quote is most important to me, because no matter what, when something is to be said and it is not presented as it should, it always looks misplaced. Therefore, if someone asks me the classical female enigma: "Do these pants make me look fat?" and the obvious answer is yes, My response would be I think that dress looked better, but my opinion is only mine, if you like them, wear them. ( I know I didn't answer the question, but women are smart, they understand the gist of it no? lol)

take care Nounourse

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger aisha said...

One characteristic I really value is forgiveness...which I believe goes hand in hand with compassion. I've posted what I think are two beautiful examples of forgiveness and compassion on my blog.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger Nura said...

Very well said Craig, compassion does imply other very virtuous characteristics - doesn't it? Kind of like an effective all-in-one shampoo!!! If someone is compassion, it is very unlikely that he or she will not be trustworthy and forgiving. Jammy, I agree with you - I like it straightforward and honest as well..no sugarcoating for me please!! And Aisha, forgiveness is indeed a virtue.. not easy to do but something we should all work towards.. Thank you all for your comments!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nura,
I value humble, which is not easy to achieve (I'm talking about myself)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home