Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Emotional Attachment to Objects

I have spent the last three weeks working hard to sell off all of our furniture and household items that we aren't shipping overseas (I have almost no respect for salespeople anymore by the way - all that blahblah just drives me nuts!) and I came to realize something.. I am not at all attached to material objects!!! Everytime I open a closet, I find that my mother has hidden some things that I have put up for sale - MY THINGS! Everyday is a discussion over the things we need to give away or sell because we just do't have enough space in the container and it is a struggle for my parents to just LET GO!!! My mother is in complete shock when I say I would rather just sell it off or give it away and let another child or family benefit from it.. and she says I have no heart!! Is it true? Am I abnormal for just not feeling attached to things, even if I've had them since childhood? I just feel so much more pleasure in giving items away. Is it strange that I don't want to keep a single thing (besides my clothes)? Hmmmm... I wonder..

6 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Blogger AGRADA said...

really?!

I,m even more radical !!
I' throw away everything that doesn't match the surrounding, or occupy a space that doesn't deserve, or disturbe my mood!!

I don,t know? but i feel very comfortable with solid colors, little details, and i prefer to set in the ground rather than ugly sofa...so i throwed my sofa in the dumpster months ago, and bought a new one that satisfied my mood.

Nothing better than feeling not attached to objects!!..

I can throw anything disposable with no mercy..Except my wallet.
and my laptop.

great post Nura!! c ya later.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Highlander said...

That's a healthy attitude Nura, though I have difficulty in letting go of some particular items depsite moving a zillion times ;)...my books are off limits ...toys ? I give/gave away clothes too . You will soon settle down again inshallah .

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger programmer craig said...

Well, things that have good memories are good to keep around, especially for people who are "rootless" like me :)

I've tossed a lot of junk over the years, and some of it I regret - even hideously ugly or out of style things, I miss sometimes. Clothes are about the first thing I'd dump, though... clothes can always be replaced, and it feels good to replace your wardrobe anyway.

One thing I really wish I still had was all my old paperbacks... thousands of them... don't even know what happened to them, but I wish I had them. Replacing them with new editions isn't the same, the coverart is different, I can't see where I folded down the pages the other times I read it, etc. No memories!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Brave Heart said...

i think there are some things u cannot throw it or give it to antbody becuase its a part of our life

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Nura said...

Thank you all for your comments!!! It's funny to see opposing comments - Ayman who is much less attached to objects than me and then Craigster who is reminiscing about his paperbacks! :o) I think mostly, that these items feel like what is keeping me from moving on and maybe that is why I want to rid myself of them. The thought of keeping reminders of a certain time does not appeal to be for some reason... maybe to avoid sadness over the loss of that time? Who knows.. I've got plenty of paperbacks to give away if you'd like Craig!!!

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger .e!manie. said...

.e!manie. thinks its a healthy reflection of your washing your hands clean of this chapter of your life. signing the ending.. and being ok with moving on.... *hopefully*... lol i only say that b/c i keep EVERYTHING. and i know its a sick emotional attachment i have to everything from clothes, montreal-bus-tickets... coffee receipts... all... but thats just me. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home