Thursday, September 28, 2006

My birthday yesterday.

Another September 27th past and I have lived through it now for the 24th year in a row - thank God. I am noticing I feel discomfort on my birthday and prefer it that few people even know about it at all. Strangely enough, I am usually a lot more emotional than on other days. I must have received approximately 20 phone calls but I answered maybe four of them. At home before bed, I listened to all the voicemails. I had a moment. It pains my heart that the people I love are all over - listening to the messages made me ache a little and I was very touched they remembered and took the time to call. It really doesn't take much to make me happy and bring such pleasure into my life. Another reason why I don't like my birthday: expectations. To me it seems egotistical to celebrate a day you are born but there are all these expectations that I should have plans and do something meaningful. Yet I hardly every do and usually brush it off when friends make suggestions to do so.. and funnily enough, when I do nothing, I feel frustrated!! Either way, I like discretion and am touched by the show of love by those I care about - in whatever form it comes. That is enough. I just wish people weren't so scattered and somehow I did not feel so torn.

My parents are complete jewels. My mother got me a birthday cake and when I arrived home from my sushi dinner with my close friend, she came out of the kitchen with a birthday cake with two candles (a 2 and a 4) with my dad singing away. Surprise. I tried not to cry but was so touched and felt a little guilty that I did not eat dinner with them. How blessed I am. It is a feeling of quiet joy and appreciation. Thank God for all I have and I hope others are able to experience a similar warmth and emotion derived from the love of others. Alhamdullah ya rab.

11 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger StarLit said...

Happy Birthday Nura, kol sana wa enti taiba, 3ogbal 100 sham3a.
you're indeed blessed with a loving family, rabi y7'ali hom lek, inshallah.
you're one year older now, so enjoy and have fun!

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Highlander said...

Happy Birthday my dear !
Have you noticed hoe many Libyan bloggers are September babies ?

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Anglo-Libyan said...

Happy Birthday and many happy returns InshAllah.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Hannu said...

Did I miss your birthday by almost a month? Oh well, you're not for making a big deal out of it, and I'm not for the formalities around it. A birthday wish is always valid any day for a happy, prosperous year. oxo

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Desert Rose said...

Happy belated Birthday!
Wishing you all the best life has to offer.

 
At 2:44 AM, Blogger Highlander said...

Happy Eid Fitr

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Lebeeya said...

Happy Birthday (i know its late) and Eid Mubarak!

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi all, just came to say i have a blog - bye

 
At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nura, … frankly I am shocked to see my earlier comment here “hi all, just came to say i have a blog – bye” without any mention of your birthday .. I just can’t believe what I have done … May I take this chance to wish you, and your family, happy big 3eed & new year ( the date: 28 Dec 06 )

 
At 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday

and a a happy new year

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday ..!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home