Saturday, January 27, 2007

Spiritual Partnerships

I was skimming through the pages of “The Seat of the Soul” by Gary Sukav and had a few thoughts I wanted to share. Reading through the pages and understanding the concepts, I felt like someone had worded the essence of what I believe in when it comes to relationships. Let me share.

Two concepts marked me. Firstly, the idea of a SPIRTUAL PARTNERSHIP as a partnership between equals for the purpose of spiritual growth. This could be a husband, friends, colleagues and so on. The idea here is that you create these connections with others for the purpose of growing emotionally to become a healthy and wholesome being. Spiritual growth requires healing and overcoming those parts in our personalities that are based in fear (anger, jealousy, feelings of superiority/inferiority and unworthiness for instance). Fear of course, it the root of all evil.

The concept of spiritual partnership coincides to exactly what I am looking for in my friendships and inshaAllah in my future partner. I am not interested in the traditional model of marriage, which involves my husband providing for the family and me giving birth and raising our children. A model based on survival. I want something deeper. I want a relationship where we work together to reach deeper more purposeful goals – coming closer to Allah and to being the best person we each can be – independently yet together.

The second idea that he eloquently presented is the idea that every unexpected sorrow and pain is the OPPORTUNITY to grow spirituality. Pain as an opportunity. How interesting. When you think of it, as we are exposed to painful situations such as death, divorce, failure in business or school etc or even those difficult situations of others, we can react in one of two ways: become the victim or the creator. If we decide to be the latter, we can use these moments to learn about ourselves and grow in the most positive of ways, to learn how we are creating now and how we can CHOOSE to CREATE DIFFERENTLY.

Growth both spiritually and emotionally is very important to me. I find myself often reflecting and trying to understand why I react in certain ways and how I can perceive things in ways that are more constructive and better for my soul. Having said that, I am still a very strong realist and very well grounded (not a hippy I promise!) but I am constantly striving for betterment, for a stronger connection and closeness to my creator… In many ways the relationships I seek are with people looking for this same growth with an eye on the big picture of this life and a conscious knowledge of our mortality. And my partner… I hope he will support me in working towards spiritual growth with an attitude that will make us both enjoy the journey.

11 Comments:

At 11:44 PM, Blogger Keepsmile5 said...

DON'T WORRY
Happiness is not to be found with many efforts or will, but is here, nearby, in your relaxing and surrendering.
Don't worry; there is nothing to be done.
Everything that comes up to your mind has no importance because it has some reality but not all is real.
Don't conceive any attachment for it.
Don't judge yourself. Let it be.
Let it come up and down without changing a thing.
It all vanishes and begins again, endlessly.
Nothing but the quest for happiness prevents us from seeing it.
It is like a rainbow that one is always chasing without ever reaching it.
It is because it has no existence.
It has always been here and goes with you all the time.
Don't believe in the reality of experiences, good or bad.
They are like rainbows.
Because we want to grasp what is not to be grasped,
We exhaust our strength in vain.
As soon as we relinquish our hold, space is here, open, welcoming & comfortable.
So, do enjoy it.
Everything is yours already.
Stop worrying about it.
There is nothing to do.
There is nothing to force...
But, where there's a will there's a way
And all comes by Allah’s Will.

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Ala said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Ala said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Beacon said...

Thank you for introducing this very nice book, I will TRY to find time to buy and read it! We pray that you gain what you seek.

 
At 3:00 AM, Blogger الوافي said...

every unexpected sorrow and pain is the OPPORTUNITY to grow spirituality.

I always beleved that every hard time is good chance to learn,
Omar Elmoktar said in the famous film: those hits which do not broke us, leave us stronger.

thanks for sharing with us your thoughts

until the next post from you, may you stay in peace

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger mani said...

salam Nura..

very interesting indeed.

I have some reflections that I would like to share with you but theyde be too long as a comment (mani as usual).. they are up on my blog however.. I naivly call it.. the solution to marrige (and everything for that matter ..lol) but I believe I may be justified.. see what you think if you have time..

take care of yourself and from me.. salam...

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Keepsmile5 said...

Assalamo Aliekoum
hey Nura
Where are you friend, we missed your wonderful thoughts!
Hope you are fine..

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Highlander said...

Eid Mabrouk :)

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Hiba said...

So long time...
Where Are Dear sister..?
Hope You re Oky..

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Hiba said...

Happy new year,all the best wishes to you and All your family in 2008.
I hope all your deams and wishes come true.

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger Nurah said...

I am new on this page and i should say your words motivated me to sign up. i am looking to discorver myself and purpose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home