Monday, January 01, 2007

Welcome Y2k7!

Within a blink of an eye came 2007 - a whole new year packed with excitement and endless possibilities! I celebrated in Chicago this year, staying with my brother and his wife. I spent the evening babysitting my beautiful niece and nephew. I wonder how many other 24 year olds spent New Year's Eve lying on the floor with two children watching Dora's Halloween Adventures!

In Retrospect
It's funny to think that it was only one year ago that I officially moved to Canada from Switzerland for what I knew would be quite the adventure. On December 31st 2005, I had arrived in Montreal that night, and had a quick sushi bite with friends, a nice tea. I was in bed sleeping away in peace while the clock ticked into the new year and I embarked on a fresh beginning in my new home.

Moving to Canada, I set out looking for the community I have always lacked and that is what 2006 was all about and I am happy to say that the attempts were quite successful and set the groundwork for more to come... I met plenty of fabulous people this year from all walks of life and discovered many different personalities. Most importantly, I became more involved in the Islamic community and continued to explore my spirituality and my faith, which I treasure. 2006 was also a year of career discovery as I continue to search for my professional purpose! Moving through three different job positions, I feel much closer to knowing what I want to do. Consequently, I have finally made the confident decision not to go to law school and pursue a masters in business.

Looking Forward to 2007
If I had to choose a theme for 2007, it would be "stability". I want to find answers to all the questions that have been hanging up in the air for years... Going back for my MBA will help me really figure out what I want to do with my career and make myself more of an asset to the business world. There is so much to achieve and accomplish - I want to continue to race forward and challenge my capabilities. I want to strengthen my Islam... I want to overcome the emptiness I feel inside when it comes to Libya and stop feeling so torn and deformed... I want to get rid of this ache - that famous repetitive ache - that haunts me once every few months and begs me to return to my country and make it my own... and of course, I would love to meet a partner, someone compatible with my vision for the future and who shares similar desires so that we may merge our paths and move forward as one.

So much to discover and learn... and I truly look forward to what life will bring. InshaAllah kheir!

10 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year Nura, I have been visiting your blog every day to read something new, it has been a long time, at the end I thought maybe you abandoned the idea all together. But I was happy with this come back with the first day of the year. Wish you the best in 2007 and may you succed in your MBA.
Ghazi

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, and happy new year,

I found one or 2 interesting points from what you wrote and feel – if you allow me – a word or 2 might help.

with regard to “ I want to overcome the emptiness I feel inside when it comes to Libya and stop feeling so torn and deformed …”
I personally think it is very natural and healthy to feel “torn”, and as you probably know, the word Libya is loaded with so many variables and unknowns, and it is a long long subject, maybe for another day ..

Point 2. With regard to “ I would love to meet a partner, someone compatible with my vision for the future and who shares similar desires so that we may merge our paths and move forward as one ”

Although I admire your honesty and frankness, which is rare nowadays, unfortunately, I do though have one specific thing to say. Instead of “someone compatible with my vision for the future and who shares similar desires”, isn’t compromise the key?

i wish you all the success in the world

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Brave Heart said...

Hi Nura
Eid Mubark and Happy new year,carry on u will be successful Libyan girl,don't worry about Libya now,keep blogging and u will get full support from the Libyan bloggers.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Nura said...

Wow! MashaAllah I am touched at all your messages. Thank you for taking the time to read my notes. Funny that when I write, I almost expect that no one will read it... so it is a funny feeling to receive these messages and know that people have had a short insight into my world for a few moments in their day!

Ghazi - thank you for your visits, I am glad you did not give up on me! :) I am often overwhelmed with life to sit back and take a few moments to reflect and write here... but I will do from time to time so stick around! Thanks for your wishes of success - 3ogbaleek as will, bilnajah waltowfik always. :)

Cofman - Is it really healthy to feel torn? Perhaps in the reflection it brings but the helplessness is not at all pleasant and it is difficult to find closure. Secondly, in regards to compromise, trust me - I know this all too well and I think as an Arab woman and as a daughter - you spend much of your life compromising and voluntarily so, dont get me wrong, to please others (ridaa alwaldeen). So I am more than happy to compromise, sacrifice, communicate and all of these wonderful virtues... given that the compatibility is there. :) Compatibility makes you want to compromise and move forward, so for me, it is the first step. I deeply appreciate your thoughts and words, thank you. Keep them coming!

Braveheart - Thanks for the moral support - inshaAllah we will always return the favor and keep our little circle strong! :) Eid Mubarek and Happy New Year to you too!

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for everything,
( ... btw, initially I wanted to write a massive comment … now I think it is much better we take it one step at a time )

“ Compatibility .. for me, the first step ” ok, I understand

On “ torn”, a day or 2 I was reading about what “ home” means, and came across some wonderful sayings by some wise people,

- A house is made of walls and beams; a home is built with love and dreams

Or

- Home is not where you live, but where they understand you

 
At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy new year habibti , after all your 2006 was great and all the coming years will be great for you inshallah simply coz you are such a positive person who is full of life and soooo ready for everything
mashallah your personality is pretty strong and you know exactly what you want , that is what matters the most !
keep it up with faith you'll do it all inshallah
salam

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nura again, and how are you today? It is Saturday the 6th…
long time no see .. where are you?

Need to tell you that you have many fans, I am one and I already miss you.
Hey, another thing I want to say: if you want to keep your Blog serious and tidy, and only write when plan and prepare before you publish, then fine, no problem,
Come to my blog, we can talk about anything ( I think my blog is the best in the world – over 97 % of it is already deleted lol ) we talk and joke, then DELETE lol) even if you are too busy, then you must take a break

Take care, and hope to see you writing somewhere soon inshallah

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you back.
Best wishes to you and your family and InshaAllah Haj Mubarak to your parents (I saw your comment in Beacon's blog).

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamo Aliekoum

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamo Aliekoum
Hi Nura!
First of all, let me say " Mashaalah" Be'jad "Mashaalah", I am very proud of you and of all great libyan guys at this space..
I have read your posts and I really enjoyed reading them, which made me feel so happy to see Libyan girl with such great personality and such beautiful thoughts.
Dear Nura! I hope you'll accept me as a new friend and please keep going, May Allah bless you and bring you happiness and prosperity..
Finally, Wish you and to all happy 2007 full of joy and success.
Faithfully
Keepsmile5

 

Post a Comment

<< Home